Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Thing 1 - 7 1/2 Habits

Life long learning to me is knowing that everyday you have the ability to learn something new and how it can be used. You never can learn to much of one thing or everything of anything. After viewing the 7 1/2 online tutorial I found it very insightful. The easiest habit and the hardest for me were easily spotted without much thought during the viewing. The Easiest habit for me was to "Begin with the End in Mind" as setting small goals to reach tour ultimate goal was instilled in me at an early age. You have to see your end target but sometime I found myself stressing to obtain this until I learned the trick of small goal setting and then it seemed less over whelming. This does take practice and you must allow yourself time to master this or you will still find yourself rushing at the end of your task. It also is a great confidence builder as the target becomes closer as I chip away at the smaller "pieces" as before it felt like I was attempting to move the entire boulder at times. The Hardest habit that I can admit is still the one of "Problems verses Challenges" and the abilty to know the difference between them. I have had deal with anxiety and stress that I cannot pinpoint where it comes from since my eary twenties. Problems that could have been made into challenges would always seem to get to me and weight me down. it might be a task at work that was new to me or trying to figure out how to fix a problem around my house. I still today have to battle myself and make myself understand that some problems in life can be taken on as challenges. These problems can then become something that, when completed, are seen as rewarding and not as "finially I'm done with that and can relax". Turning negatives into positives can be tough and i work with this each day in my current job as a local government employee. There always will exist problems no matter if you are in the classroom or in another job, the ultimate task is making these into challenges that you learn from and not lose sleep over.

3 comments:

  1. I really like your idea of setting smaller goals to complete a big goal. This is a great tool to teach future student. Sometimes students (and adults) get overwhelmed with a large project instead of look at a bunch of small pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to help my son see problems as challenges too. He gets so caught up in the overall task that he gets really upset and wants to give up. So many kids that I worked with before want to give up, I try to get them to see that its not the end of the world if they get it wrong today. They have tomorrow to try again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely agree with the problems vs. challenges habit. I tend to find myself not being able to differentiate between the two, causing my problems to get bigger and get the best of me. Instead I need to start reminding myself that nothing is a problem unless I allow it to be and i can easily make it into a challenge to find a solution or learn something new about myself that I haven't before. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete